You can sponsor this page of The Text This Week
- Reading the Text:
- NRSV (with link to Anglicized NRSV, Common Worship Psalter, ASB Psalter, and BCP Psalter) at Oremus Bible Browser.
- Hebrew Interlinear Bible, WLCv, WLC5, CHES, AV.
- The Bible Gateway: NRSV, RSV, NIV, NASB, CEV, The Message, KJV, etc.
- The Blue Letter Bible. KJV, alternate versions, Hebrew text with concordance, commentaries.
- The World Wide Study Bible includes commentary, exposition and sermons.
- Historical References, Commentary and Comparative
- Chapter XXXIV, Against Hermogenes, Tertullian (c. 205)
- IV.29, Against Marcion, Tertullian (c. 210)
- Chapter XXVI, On the Resurrection of the Flesh, Tertullian (c. 211)
- Chapter II, On Modesty, Tertullian (c. 217)
- VIII.III, Against Celsus, Origen. (c.246)
- From Augustine's Exposition on the Psalms.
- Rashi's Commentary, c. 1075. chabad.org.
- From the Geneva Notes.
- From Matthew Henry's Commentary.
- From Wesley's Notes.
- From the Commentary on the Whole Bible (Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, 1871).
- Contemporary Commentary, Studies, and Exegesis:
Psalm 97, Nancy Koester, Preaching This Week, WorkingPreacher.org,
- "Yes, there is evil in the world and yes, there is conflict and pain. But Godâ€™s love and faithfulness surround us."
- Psalm 97 and Political Theology, Pekka PitkÃ¤nen, Political Theology, 2013.
- "...the Old Testament texts do call individuals and communities to trust that Yahweh is all-powerful and will stand behind those who abide by the ethical framework set by him."
- The Timeless Psalms: Psalm 97, Easter 7C, Joan Stott, prayers and meditations based on lectionary Psalms, 2013.
Psalm 97, J. Clinton McCann, Preaching This Week, WorkingPreacher.org,
- "As James L. Mays concludes concerning Psalm 97: 'The psalm's proclamation of God's reign offers the righteous hope in their opposition to evil. When the kingdom of God is proclaimed, the righteous take courage' (Psalms, Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching)."
- Psalm 97, Easter 7C, The Old Testament Readings: Weekly Comments on the Revised Common Lectionary, Theological Hall of the Uniting Church, Melbourne, Australia.
- The Timeless Psalms: Psalm 97, Joan Stott, prayers and meditations based on lectionary Psalms, 2010.
- The Old Testament Readings: Psalms 96, 97, 98. Weekly Comments on the Revised Common Lectionary, Theological Hall of the Uniting Church, Melbourne, Australia.
- "The Glory of the Lord," Larry Broding's Word-Sunday.Com: A Lectionary Resource for Catholics.
"The Lord Is
Psalm 97, Dr. William R. Long.
- "May this Psalm be a tonic for you as you feel the demands of life catching up with you. Take a step back and drink deeply from the majesty of God."
- Kairos CoMotion Lectionary Discussion, Psalm 97, Wesley White. "A place of conversation regarding Progressive Christianity."
- "The 97th," Joel Smeby, Prayer in Downtown, Hopkins, MN.
- Commentary, Psalm 97, Nancy Koester, Preaching This Week, WorkingPreacher.org, 2013.
- Articles & Background:
- Recommended articles from ATLAS, an online collection of religion and theology journals, are linked below. ATLAS Access options are available for academic institutions, alumni of selected theological schools, and clergy/church offices.
- With Children:
- Graphics & Bulletin Materials:
- Hymns and Music:
- Hymnary.org, hymns, scores, media, information.
- Contemporary/Praise Song suggestions, Together to Celebrate, David MacGregor.
- Hymns with Scripture Allusions: Psalm 97. The Cyber Hymnal.
- Psalm 97 set to St Catherine (88 88 88) by Dale A. Schoening, Metrical Psalms.
- At Digital Hymnal (midi files, guitar chords, karaoke files, projection text):
- Fine Arts Images Linked at The Text This Week's Art Index:
- Movies scenes with the following themes, listed at The Text This Week's Movie Concordance:
- Study Links and Resources for the Book of Psalms