You can sponsor this page of The Text This Week
- Reading the Text:
- Historical References, Commentary and Comparative
- Chapter 11, On Cleaving to God, Albertus Magnus, c. 1275.
- Rashi's Commentary, c. 1075. chabad.org.
- From the Geneva Notes.
- "Thus he speaks in respect for the brevity of man's life, which passes without hope of returning: in consideration of which he desires God to have compassion on him."
- "While we are living, every day, like the shuttle, leaves a thread behind: many weave the spider's web, which will fail, ch. 8:14. But if, while we live, we live unto the Lord, in works of faith and labours of love, we shall have the benefit, for every man shall reap as he sowed, and wear as he wove."
- "If men will not hear us, God will: if men cannot help us, he can: for his arm is not shortened, neither is his ear heavy."
- From the Commentary on the Whole Bible
(Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, 1871).
- "He is now in a softer mood; a beam from former days of prosperity falling upon memory and the thought of the unseen world, where one is seen no more (Job 7:8), drew from him an expression of regret at leaving this world of light (Ec 11:7); so Hezekiah (Isa 38:11). Grace rises above nature (2Co 5:8)."
- Contemporary Commentary, Studies, and Exegesis:
"Job's Reply to
a Friend's Criticism," Larry Broding's Word-Sunday.Com:
A Lectionary Resource for Catholics.
- "Have you ever questioned God's fidelity? Have you ever asked the question "Why me, God?" What happened? What helped you to return to God or remain faithful, like Job?"
- "Job's Reply to a Friend's Criticism," Larry Broding's Word-Sunday.Com: A Lectionary Resource for Catholics.
- Articles & Background:
- Recommended articles from ATLAS, an online collection of religion and theology journals, are linked below. ATLAS Access options are available for academic institutions, alumni of selected theological schools, and clergy/church offices.
- With Children:
- "Job," Illustrating the Story (lessons, children's sermons), coloring pages, activity sheets, crafts, children's songs. MSSS Crafts.
- Graphics & Bulletin Materials:
- Hymns and Music:
- Hymnary.org, hymns, scores, media, information.
- Fine Arts Images Linked at The Text This Week's Art Index:
- Movies scenes with the following themes, listed at The Text This Week's Movie Concordance:
- Study Links and Resources for the Book of Job