You can sponsor this page of The Text This Week
- Reading the Text:
- NRSV (with link to Anglicized NRSV) at Oremus Bible Browser.
- Hebrew Interlinear Bible, WLCv, WLC5, CHES, AV.
- The Bible Gateway: NRSV, RSV, NIV, NASB, CEV, The Message, KJV, etc.
- The Blue Letter Bible. KJV, alternate versions, Hebrew text with concordance, commentaries.
- The World Wide Study Bible includes commentary, exposition and sermons.
- Historical References, Commentary and Comparative Texts:
- Contemporary Commentary, Studies and Exegesis:
is God? Verse Commentary on Isaiah 59:1-9, 12-13, 15b-21"
Dennis Bratcher, Christian Resource Institute.
- "So following the return from Babylon, the people faced a new crisis. With no city walls, marauding bands of outlaws threatened them. With no central government, there was little leadership and little means of enforcing laws. With no temple, religious life ebbed low. Apathy, indifference and cynicism grew until the people began to lose sight of who they were as God?s people. They began to be careless how they lived out being God?s people. They began to doubt the future that God had promised."
- Environmental & earth-centered reflections from the Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota Environmental Stewardship Commission.
- "Where is God? Verse Commentary on Isaiah 59:1-9, 12-13, 15b-21" Dennis Bratcher, Christian Resource Institute.
- Articles & Background:
"Divine Warfare and
Nonresistance," Gerald Janzen, Direction, 2003.
- "On the matter of nonresistance, the theme of spiritual warfare demonstrates a continuity between the Old and New Testaments."
- Blind Persons in the Bible and the Ancient World, Prof. Felix Just, S.J. - Loyola Marymount University. A developing website including excerpts from Just's dissertation, articles about blind people in the Bible and the ancient world, depictions of blind people in ancient and modern art, and other fascinating resources.
Best for Our Family," by Desmond M. Tutu
at The Living Pulpit.
- "We are active participants with God in the struggle for justice."
- Jubilee Resources from The Other Side on line.
- "Divine Warfare and Nonresistance," Gerald Janzen, Direction, 2003.
- Recommended articles from ATLAS, an online collection of religion and theology journals, are linked below. ATLAS Access options are available for academic institutions, alumni of selected theological schools, and clergy/church offices.
- "Holy Wisdom, Holy Word," Dr. Wilda Gafney, Lutheran Theological Seminary Chapel, 2005.
- Review: Leszek Ruszkowski, Volk und Gemeinde im Wandel: Eine Untersuchung zu Jesaja 56-66. (Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2000) Review by Roy D. Wells in SBL's Review of Biblical Literature. (Review is in English.)
- With Children:
- "The Ladder," John McNeil, dramatix.
- Graphics & Bulletin Materials:
- Hymns and Music:
- Hymnary.org, hymns, scores, media, information.
- Fine Arts Images Linked at The Text This Week's Art Index:
- Study Links and Resources for the Book of Isaiah