Resources for Numbers
(Check the Scripture Index for links and study resources pertaining to specific pericopes)
- Introductions, Overviews & General Resources:
- Numbers at Luther Seminary's Bible Tutor. Study basics about Bible books, people, dates, places, and content, and take web-based self-tests. CD-ROM of Advanced Studies also available at their site.
- Navigating the Bible: Text/Rabbinic commentary and Divrei Torah.
- The Book of Numbers, Wikipedia.
- The Book of Numbers, The Jewish Encyclopedia, 1905.
- Introduction to the Book of Numbers, New American Bible.
- Introduction, Outline, and Selected Bibliography for the Book of Numbers, by David Malick at the Biblical Studies Foundation.
- Bible Basics (Numbers) by NetMinistries. (Very basic - includes .wav files with pronunciation of Biblical words)
- Numbers in the World Wide Study Bible.
- Walking Through the Bible: Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.
- Biblenotes summary: Numbers.
- Commentary, Exegesis, Studies,etc.:
- Bamidbar - Numbers, text with Rashi's commentary, chabad.org.
- Numbers, Geneva Study Bible, 1599.
- Numbers, Matthew Henry Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible, 1706.
- Numbers, Wesley's Notes, c 1760.
- Numbers, Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, 1871.
- Numbers, Scofield Reference Notes, 1917.
- "Law: Hear O Israel (Legal Codes)," Davie Napier, in From Faith to Faith: Essays on Old Testament Literature, 1955. Full text online at Religion Online.
- Leviticus and Numbers: In the Wilderness, Barry Bandstra, Reading the Old Testament: An introduction to the Hebrew Bible, 1999.
- The Book of Numbers, verse by verse commentary, Robert Nguyen Cramer, BibleTexts.com.
- Expository Notes on Numbers, Dr. Thomas L. Constable, Dallas Theological Seminary, 2005 edition.
- Articles and Background:
- "Theology of Numbers," Elmer A. Martens, Directions, 2000.
- Recommended articles from ATLAS, an online collection of religion and theology journals, are linked below. ATLAS Access options are available for academic institutions, alumni of selected theological schools, and clergy/church offices.
- Lockshin, Martin I., ed., Rashbam's Commentary on Leviticus and Numbers: An Annotated Translation. (Brown Judaic Studies, 2001) Review by Mayer I. Gruber in SBL's Review of Biblical Literature.
- Midrash Tanhuma: Volume 3, Numbers and Deuteronomy. Translated into English with Introduction, Indices, and Brief Notes by John T. Townsend. Ktav, 2003. Review by Herbert w. Basser in The Catholic Biblical Quarterly, 2004.
- Knierim, Rolf P. and George W. Coats. Numbers. Eerdmans, 2005. Reviews by Reinhard Achenbach and Thomas Romer, Review of Biblical Literature, 2005.
- Leveen, Adriane B., Memory and Tradition in the
Book of Numbers. Cambridge University Press, 2008.
by Thomas B. Dozeman, Review of Biblical Literature, 2008.