- Reading the Text:
- NRSV (with link to Anglicized NRSV) at Oremus Bible Browser.
- Greek Interlinear Bible, ScrTR, ScrTR t, Strong, Parsing, CGTS, CGES id, AV.
- The Bible Gateway: NRSV, RSV, NIV, NASB, CEV, The Message, KJV, etc.
- The Blue Letter Bible. KJV, alternate versions, Greek text with concordance, commentaries.
- The World Wide Study Bible includes commentary, exposition and sermons.
- Historical References, Commentary and
- VIII.LXX, Against Celsus, Origen (c. 246)
- On the Lord's Prayer -- Cyprian of Carthage (c. 252)
- From the Geneva Notes.
- "This is a metaphor taken from holy things or sacrifices, for our life is like a sacrifice."
- "...for the temptations of fulness and prosperity are more than those of affliction and want."
- From Wesley's
- "Presently after, the order of the words is inverted, to intimate his frequent transition from scarcity to plenty, and from plenty to scarcity."
- From the Commentary on the Whole Bible
(Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, 1871).
- "I can do all things--Greek, "I have strength for all things"; not merely "how to be abased and how to abound.""
- From The People's
New Testament, B.W. Johnson, 1891.
- "Though Christ gave him strength to bear want, it was a good thing, a kind deed, that they supported him in his affliction."
- Contemporary Commentary, Studies and Exegesis:
- "The Power that Christ Gives," Rev. Bryan Findlayson, Lectionary Bible Studies and Sermons, Pumpkin Cottage Ministry Resources. Includes detailed textual notes.
- Articles & Background:
- "In the Steps of the Moralists: Paul's Rhetorical Argumentation in Philippians 4," Rollin A. Ramsaran, Queen: A Journal of Rhetoric and Power.
- Recommended articles from ATLAS, an online collection of religion and theology journals, are linked below. ATLAS Access options are available for academic institutions, alumni of selected theological schools, and clergy/church offices.
- With Children:
- Philippians 4:19, Memory Verse Coloring/Activity Page, MSSS.
- Graphics & Bulletin Materials:
- Clip Art, Philippians 4:12-13, Fr. Richard Lonsdale, Resources for Catholic Educators.
- Hymns and Music:
- Fine Arts Images Linked at The Text This Week's Art Index:
- Study Links and Resources for the Book of Philippians