- Reading the Text:
- NRSV (with link to Anglicized NRSV) at Oremus Bible Browser.
- Greek Interlinear Bible, ScrTR, ScrTR t, Strong, Parsing, CGTS, CGES id, AV.
- The Bible Gateway: NRSV, RSV, NIV, NASB, CEV, The Message, KJV, etc.
- The Blue Letter Bible. KJV, alternate versions, Greek text with concordance, commentaries.
- The World Wide Study Bible includes commentary & sermons.
- Historical References, Commentary and
- The Five Gospels Parallels, John W. Marshall, University of Toronto.
- Luke 1:1-4, Commentary on Matthew, Mark, and Luke, John Calvin. (c. 1550)
- From the Geneva Notes.
- From Matthew Henry's Commentary (c. 1700).
- From Wesley's Notes. John Wesley (1703-1791).
- From the Commentary on the Whole Bible (Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, 1871).
- From The People's New Testament, B.W. Johnson, 1891.
- Contemporary Commentary, Studies, and Exegesis:
'Gospel'?" Larry Broding's Word-Sunday.Com: A Catholic
Resource for This Sunday's Gospel. Adult Study, Children's Story, Family
Activity, Support Materials.
- "What news has excited you recently? How has that news changed your daily life? How has it given you hope?"
- "What is 'Gospel'?" Larry Broding's Word-Sunday.Com: A Catholic Resource for This Sunday's Gospel. Adult Study, Children's Story, Family Activity, Support Materials.
- Articles & Background:
- "Theophilus," wikipedia.
- "Genre and Point of View in Luke's Gospel," Brigid Curtin Frein, Biblical Theology Bulletin, 2008.
"Luke Wrote to
Rome - A Suggestion," J. Kilgallen, Biblica, 2007.
- "By Luke?s story, Theophilus understands the truth many teachings, particularly about his place in God?s plan of salvation."
- "Stepping into the Drama," study guide for adults, Robert B. Kruschwitz, (other resources at) "Catechesis," Christian Reflection, The Center for Christian Ethics at Baylor University, 2003. Focus article: "Stepping into the Drama," Gary Furr.
- "The Claims of the Prologues and Greco-Roman Rhetoric: The Prefaces to Luke and Acts in Light of Greco-Roman Rhetorical Strategies," Vernon K. Robbins, Jesus and the Heritage of Israel: Luke's Narrative Claim upon Israel's Legacy, ed. David P Moessner, 1999.
- Recommended articles from ATLAS, an online collection of religion and theology journals, are linked below. ATLAS Access options are available for academic institutions, alumni of selected theological schools, and clergy/church offices.
Tell the Truth," Brad A. Binau, Associate Professor of Pastoral
Theology Trinity Lutheran Seminary, The Ordination of Elizabeth Davis
Manning and Matthew Manning October 18, 1998, St. Luke, Evangelist.
- "Let?s not confuse gospel with politeness. Let?s not confuse healing with niceness. Let?s not limit empathy to mean that we must rush in to rescue others from the clarifying and cleansing pain they may experience when the truth finally breaks in and lays hold on their hearts."
- "To Tell the Truth," Brad A. Binau, Associate Professor of Pastoral Theology Trinity Lutheran Seminary, The Ordination of Elizabeth Davis Manning and Matthew Manning October 18, 1998, St. Luke, Evangelist.
- With Children:
- "Sally's Paragraph," children's story by Larry Broding, word-sunday.com.
- Graphics & Bulletin Materials:
- Hymns and Music:
- Hymnary.org, hymns, scores, media, information.
- Fine Arts Images Linked at The Text This Week's Art Index:
- Movies scenes with the following themes, listed at The Text This Week's Movie Concordance:
- Study Links and Resources for the Book of Luke
- Find Worship Resources & Suggested Other Readings for use with this text: