Representing the Garden of Eden/Paradise
- The Shipping
- Quoyle learns that his family had been banished from
another island for their evil. There is a scene in
which we see them dragging the ancestral home
across the ice, as they have been evicted from their
Eden. (Darrel Manson, Artesia, CA)
- Paradise/Garden of Eden - Garden of
Eden is defiled by "civilization" or "evil men" entering it. (See review at Hollywood Jesus)
- A Simple Plan (1998)
- Hank is forced to leave the innocence of the world that
he later learns was Paradise.
- The Thin Red Line
- scenes of war juxtaposed with scenes of
light/sounds of nature, representing paradise defiled.
- The Truman Show
- Truman leaves the illusory "paradise" at end of movie
- leaving the Garden of Eden for "real life".
- Pleasantville (1998)
- The loss of innocence - leaving the Garden.
- Quote from the "garden of Eden". Girl asks boy "What's it
like outside of Pleasantville?" He answers that it is: A lot noisier, kind
of scary, and a lot more dangerous. She replies, "Sounds wonderful!" with a
huge smile and the sparkle of wonderment in her eyes. (Alix
- Amistad (1997)
- Cinque pulled from Paradise.
- Anaconda (1997)
- The snake in the "paradise" of the Amazon
Rain Forest - Paradise Restored at end of film. (see review at Hollywood
- Robocop (1987)
- Verhoeven says in the DVD commentary that he is
consciously creating Paradise Lost when Robo/Murphy visits Murphy's
house and remembers his family.
Index of Movie Titles
Index of Movie Themes