Icons/the Holy Grail/Stigmata
- The Sixth Sense (1999)
- figurines of Jesus and of soldiers, pictures, etc become icons. (See review at Hollywood Jesus.)
- Frankie bleeds with stigmata after receiving a cross from a deceased priest in Brazil. (See review at Hollywood Jesus.)
- The Fisher
- The man [Jack] has met (played by Robin Williams) is convinced that the DJ has been sent to bring him a silver cup ( actually a sporting trophy ) which he thinks is the Holy Grail. The Robn Williams character repeatedly calls him to this task, but he dismisses it as ridiculous . Finally,though , when Robin Williams falls into a catatonic state, he realises that , simply because he needs the 'grail' to get better he will retrieve it. (submitted by Anne Gordon)
Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
- Indy and Elsa escape from a baptism of fire by overturning a coffin (used!) in a gutter full of oily water and breathing the trapped air, then swimming out through a sewer and emerging from a manhole. Toward the end, when they find the Holy Grail, its healing power and supposed immortality are conveyed by water! (submitted by Bill Mosley, New Ulm TX)
- Empire of
the Sun (1987)
- When Jim is finally rescued by soldiers he holds up a can of condensed milk in a reverent pose, as if it were a chalice.
- Agnes of God
- The Poseidon Adventure
- Mrs Rosen tells the priest to give the charm to their grandson - a sign for life - life always matters very much.