- Reading the Text:
- NRSV (with link to Anglicized NRSV) at Oremus Bible Browser.
- Greek Interlinear Bible, ScrTR, ScrTR t, Strong, Parsing, CGTS, CGES id, AV.
- The Bible Gateway: NRSV, RSV, NIV, NASB, CEV, The Message, KJV, etc.
- The Blue Letter Bible. KJV, alternate versions, Greek text with concordance, commentaries.
- The World Wide Study Bible includes commentary & sermons.
- Historical References, Commentary and
- Comparative texts about Spirit Possession and Exorcism from Philo, Lucian, Josephus, the Babylonian Talmud, Midrash, Philostratus, etc. At (Rutgers University Dept of Religion) Mahlon H. Smith's Into His Own: Perspective on the World of Jesus companion to the historical study of Christian texts.
- From the Geneva Notes.
- "Philip, who was before a deacon in Jerusalem, is made an evangelist by God in an extraordinary way."
- "As far as the gospel prevails, evil spirits are dislodged, particularly unclean spirits."
- "Stephen - Being taken away, Philip, his next colleague, (not the apostle,) rises in his place."
- From the Commentary on the Whole Bible (Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, 1871).
- From The People's
New Testament, B.W. Johnson, 1891.
- "It was the miracles that, at first, fixed their attention."
- Contemporary Commentary, Studies, and Exegesis:
"Steps of Evangelization," Larry Broding's Word-Sunday.Com:
A Catholic Resource for This Sunday's Gospel.
- "Pray that the Spirit might lead you and use your talents to support your words. And pray the Spirit might fall upon your audience, even if only one person is 'in the house.'"
- "Simon and
Simon (Acts 8:1-25)," by Robert Deffinbaugh at the Biblical Studies Foundation.
- "Whenever men lose sight of the sovereignty of God, they begin to think and to act according to the rules of magic. And all of this can take on a very pious appearance."
- "Steps of Evangelization," Larry Broding's Word-Sunday.Com: A Catholic Resource for This Sunday's Gospel.
- Articles & Background:
- Recommended articles from ATLAS, an online collection of religion and theology journals, are linked below. ATLAS Access options are available for academic institutions, alumni of selected theological schools, and clergy/church offices.
- "Could you Be Wrong about God?" the rev. Craig Barnes, Day 1, 2000.
- With Children:
- Graphics & Bulletin Materials:
- Hymns and Music:
- Hymnary.org, hymns, scores, media, information.
- Fine Arts Images Linked at The Text This Week's Art Index:
- Study Links and Resources for the Book of Acts