Joshua 4:19 - 5:12
- Reading the Text:
- NRSV (with link to Anglicized NRSV) at Oremus Bible Browser.
- Hebrew Interlinear Bible, WLCv, WLC5, CHES, AV.
- The Bible Gateway: NRSV, RSV, NIV, NASB, CEV, The Message, KJV, etc.
- The Blue Letter Bible. KJV, alternate versions, Hebrew text with concordance, commentaries. Chapter 5.
- The World Wide Study Bible includes commentary, exposition and sermons. Chapter 5.
- Yehoshua 4: Massoretic, Hebrew, JPS.
- Yehoshua 5: Massoretic, Hebrew, JPS.
- Historical References, Commentary and
- Chapter IX, Adversus Judaeos, Tertullian (c. 198)
- VI.26, Commentary on the Gospel of John, Philocalia [anthology of Origen prepared by St. Basil and St. Gregory Nazianzen], Origen. (c.230)
- Rashi's Commentary, c. 1075. chabad.org. Chapter 5.
- From the Geneva Notes. Chapter 5.
- From Matthew Henry's Commentary. Chapter 5.
- From Wesley's Notes. Chapter 5.
- From the Commentary on the Whole Bible (Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, 1871). Chapter 5.
- Contemporary Commentary, Studies, and Exegesis:
- Environmental & earth-centered reflections from the Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota Environmental Stewardship Commission.
- Articles & Background:
- "Crossed Over," and "Covenant Ritual," from Joshua and the Promised Land, Interactive Bible Study on the Web, A Resource from the Women's Division, General Board of Global Ministries, United Methodist Church.
Goy by Any Other Name -- The Problem of Nationality in Antiquity,"
Steven Grosby, Professor of Religion, Clemson University. Bible and
- "Ancient Israel is described in the Hebrew Bible as a trans-tribal collectivity (for example, Joshua 3-4), the existence of which is dependent upon the occupation of a territory, with relatively precise demarcated boundaries (Numbers 34), that was believed by the ancient Israelites to be their own. Without that land, it was believed that Israel, qua Israel, would face death..."
- Recommended articles from ATLAS, an online collection of religion and theology journals, are linked below. ATLAS Access options are available for academic institutions, alumni of selected theological schools, and clergy/church offices.
- With Children:
- Graphics & Bulletin Materials:
- Hymns and Music:
- Hymnary.org, hymns, scores, media, information.
- Fine Arts Images Linked at The Text This Week's Art Index:
- Movies scenes with the following themes, listed at The Text This Week's Movie Concordance:
- Study Links and Resources for the Book of Joshua